From: Greg Clow <[email-masked]>

Someone recently posted asking for "Top 10 Goth CD" lists.  As much as I
hate such lists, since they usually spawn a multitude of "what a lame
list, *my* list is much better!" posts, I couldn't help but start
thinking about what I would put on my own list, so I figured "what the
hell".  So, here it is.  In no particular order...
 
"Some Girls Wander By Mistake" - SISTERS OF MERCY
  Some folks will already be jumping up and down screaming "But it's a
  *collection*!  How can you put it on a 'best of' list??".  To that I
  respond - it's *my* list, and I can put whatever I *want* on it! :-)
  Seriously, the singles collected on this disc are, quite frankly, the
  best material the Sisters ever produced.  Skipping over this because
  it's a collection and including "FaLaA" instead would be unfair.  And
  besides, it's a nice, long collection, so it'll give newbies thier
  money's worth.  Then they can start in on the "real" albums.  Except
  for "Vision Thing".  Yuck.
 
"Volume 1"/"Volume 2" - BAUHAUS
  In this case, I don't think that any of Bauhaus' four "real" albums
  are solid enough to deserve "Top 10" status (except for perhaps the
  first, but I tend to not think of that as a "goth" album).  The two
  disc collection, however, collects pretty much every essential Bauhaus
  track (except for "In the Night").  And, as with "Some Girls...", it's
  a good starting point for beginners.
 
"Only Theatre of Pain" - CHRISTIAN DEATH
"The Windkissed Pictures" - CHRISTIAN DEATH
  Each of these releases is, in my mind, the best of thier particular
  "era" (the former being from the days of Rozz, and the latter from
  Valor).  I must confess, however, that I'm not totally familar with
  many of the releases after "S&D&JC", mainly because the material that
  I *have* heard from them hasn't impressed me much.
 
"Faith" - THE CURE
  Remember when it was still cool to like the Cure?  :-)  This is still
  one of the most depressing albums ever recorded, and I'm sure many
  will argue the "gothness" of the Cure, but once again, this is *my*
  list!  *MINE*!!  :-)
 
"The Best of..." - SEX GANG CHILDREN
  Despite the name, this disc isn't really a singles collection - it
  collects nearly every studio recording from S.G.C., but the "Best of"
  name still fits.  And it's another nice, long disc (although it might
  be a bit tough to track down) that provides a good look at one of the
  most underrated and unrecognised bands in the goth genre.  (Just be
  sure to avoid the latest S.G.C. incarnation, who are churning out some
  of the most insipid sounding Manchester-influenced crap that I've ever
  had the displeasure of hearing.)
 
"The Serpent's Egg" or "Within the Realm of a Dying Sun" - DEAD CAN DANCE
  Not much to say about this, except Lisa Gerrard is a goddess and DCD's
  live show a couple of years ago was the *best* concert I've *ever*
  seen.
 
"Bites & Remission" - SKINNY PUPPY
  Some would call it industrial, but it's still pretty damn dark 'n'
  scary.  "Death Disco" is a better description.  And no-one can tell me
  that a disc that contains a song with lyrics that include the word
  "Death" repeated 13 times is *not* goth!  A cheesy classic.
 
"Acid Bath" - ALIEN SEX FIEND
  The lone survivors of the Batcave scene of the early 80's.  This album
  is from their "peak".  Another, even *cheesier* classic.
 
"JuJu" - SIOUXSIE AND THE BANSHEES
  The track "Monitor" is an utter masterpiece - one of the absolute best
  goth tunes ever recorded.  It's worth owning this disc just for that
  track alone.  "Sit back and enjoy.... the real McCoy!"

Ten already?  Aww, I was just getting started!

Greg